Jesus Is Lord ~ Assembly of Love
The Ministry of Evangelism
Elder LaVerne Norman, Director/JLAL Church Family
Pastor – Steven Norman
Vision – To Save the Lost; To Transform the Saved
Jesus commands us to Evangelize: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit," (Matt. 28:19). Also, Ezek. 3:11 says, "and go to the exiles, to the sons of your people, and speak to them and tell them, whether they listen or not. Our evangelism is not response based, it is Word based.
We must witness because we love the unsaved. The most loving thing we can do is present the Gospel in hopes of bringing others to salvation. Galatians 5:22 lists love as one of the fruits of the Spirit. It is love's nature to give. Take for example John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son . . . " Love gives, and if you have only a small portion of His love, you will want to give to others.
At Jesus Is Lord ~ Assembly of Love, we witness because it is a wise thing to do. Prov. 11:30 says, " . . . he who is wise wins souls." We desire to be wise in God's sight.
We witness to keep people out of Hell. Hell is a terrifying place of utter anguish and eternal separation from God. Those who are not saved go there. Witnessing is an attempt to keep them out of Hell.
We evangelize because it pleases God and brings glory to His name so people may find the love and fellowship of God (1 John 1:3), the greatest of all treasures. I can think of no greater gift than salvation. It frees the sinner from sin, it delivers the lost from damnation, and it reveals the true and living God to those who don't know Him.
The angels of Heaven rejoice greatly when anyone passes from judgment into salvation (Luke 15:10). As Christians our church rejoices too. We continually ask the Lord of the harvest to send laborers into His harvest (Luke 10:2) The salvation of others is the goal of our efforts. The love of God is our motive and God shall receive all glory from this body of believers.
We explore evangelism through many outlets. Below are a few:
- We have done teachings geared directly toward evangelism to train people to witness Christ.
- Annually, we minister at Samaritan Inn Homeless Shelter. We enjoy preparing a home cooked meal around Thanksgiving. The JLAL gentleman truly assist JoyBell Ministries in this venture and we love it.
- Every other month, under the Direction of Dea. Sherry Shepherd, JLAL ministers at the Rescue Mission. This is another witnessing opportunity that the church is excited about and we’ve done this for years.
- JLAL has had a Community Awareness Fair and a Back to School Drive both to be a blessing to youth and adults in our community.
- Easter Evangelism is something that we truly enjoy because we are letting people know that our God lives. We’ve mailed hundreds of postcards inviting people to church along with prayer-walking various neighborhoods.
- Christmas is another glorious time where we’ve had plays, events, and services all with evangelism themes in efforts to point and lead people to Christ.
- We have tagged teamed with Murphy USA gas station to “Fuel Our Faith”. JLAL has raised over $1,000 to bless anyone who enters the gas station while we’re evangelizing. One year the men even pumped the gas! What a privilege to be a blessing.
- James Robison has a wonderful ministry where water wells are dug in third world countries. We have tag teamed with his ministry by purchasing a well.
- JLAL also has tagged teamed with James Robison Ministries and gave hundreds of shoes for the Christmas Shoe Drive. Often, we take shoes for granted but it’s a huge gift for someone who has to walk barefoot outdoors and becomes susceptible to disease.
- Come out to Jesus Is Lord ~ Assembly of Love Church to hear and see many other things that we are doing, as the Lord continues to lead us to bless His creation. Evangelism is very import to our Pastor and it’s a huge part of his God-inspired vision.
As with every ministry at JLAL, we submit to the Pastor. Elder LaVerne who directs many of the evangelism events tag teams with the Pastor, other leaders and the active congregants.